A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A CENTER MEMBER / CAREGIVER
By offering life-skill based group activities facilitated by Speech-Language Pathologists that redevelop the communication skills of those with aphasia, our members are becoming more confident in their ability to communicate more effectively. We bring them together with others to learn, experience and confront their daily challenges through our innovative program. Our caregiver support groups are designed to build a strong social network with other caregivers, learn coping strategies and ways to find respite.
Our Program in Maywood, West Orange and Toms River:
- Members attend 2 days a week from 10:00 am – 2:15 pm on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays in Maywood. Hours in West Orange are 9:30 am – 1:30 pm. Hours in Toms River are from 10:00 am – 2:15 pm on Mondays/Wednesdays.
- Members sign up for a 15 week semester (there are 3 semesters annually)
- Programming can include:
- One-on-one computer sessions with a volunteer and group based technology sessions using mobile technology assisted devices.
- Communication strategy groups (to engage in conversation and practice new strategies with others with similar communication challenges)
- Discussion based groups such as book club, travel, comedy, etc.
- Wellness activities such as art, yoga, gardening, cooking, drama, music, etc.
- Support groups with a Center Life Coach (offered as separate sessions for people with aphasia and for caregivers)
- Advocacy projects and aphasia education training sessions
- Tuition is $30 a day ($900 per 15 week session)
- Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Scholarship applications are available upon request